The Waterloo Catholic District School Board serves over 38,000 learners and provides services to students in 50 schools (Kindergarten to Grade 12 and adult learners) across the Waterloo Region.
The Board conducts intentional recruitment and selection as it seeks to achieve a state of greater equity for employees and students and to diversify its workforce.
All qualified applicants are welcome and encouraged to apply and applicants may choose to indicate if they are from a group who has experienced racial or social discrimination. Self-identification data will be used as a consideration in this posting. Aggregate data will be stored anonymously to support improvements to the Board’s hiring processes.
General Description of Duties:
As a Registered Early Childhood Educator (RECE) you will be available for daily occasional, long term and permanent (full and part time) assignments. The responsibilities of the position include collaborating with other educators to plan and implement the Early Learning Kindergarten program within a classroom setting and/or taking the lead in implementing age appropriate learning for groups of students as part of the Extended Day Program.
The RECE will deliver faith-based Early Learning Programs in an environment that enhances children’s cognitive, physical, social, spiritual and emotional development.
Minimum Job Requirements to be considered for daily occasional, long term occasional and permanent assignments*:
- Knowledge and understanding of Ministry of Education’s Kindergarten Program Document
- Experience in planning and implementing age appropriate programs
- Knowledge of related legislation and pertinent Board policies and directives such as, but not limited to Administration of Medication and/or Special Services
- Ability to stand/walk for extended periods and move/carry equipment for program; and must be able to physically assist children as required (e.g. lifting)
- Basic computer competency
- Ability to communicate (both oral and written) in a professional manner with students, parents, staff, and the general public
- Proven ability to follow organizational policies and procedures in an appropriate and timely manner
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Demonstrate knowledge of classroom management
- One year experience as an ECE in an Early Learning or Childcare setting is preferred however new graduates or current ECE students on track to graduate this spring are welcome to apply
- Current certificate in Standard First Aid and CPR
- Partner with classroom educators and other designated staff to plan and implement the Early Learning Kindergarten and Extended Day Program(s) through developmentally appropriate curriculum-based activities
- Collaborate with classroom educators and other designated staff to support individual student’s identified needs, strengths, interests and stages of development
- Observe, monitor and assess the development of pupils in Kindergarten and/or Extended Day Program
- Collaborate with classroom educators and special education teacher to carry out specialized activities to support learning for students requiring an Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- Collaborate with Extended Day team to implement a developmentally appropriate curriculum based on the Extended Day Program expectations
- Maintain a healthy, physical, emotional and social learning context for students
- Provide a variety of experiences to strengthen pro-social skills such as sharing, problem solving and cooperation
- Provide guidance in washroom routines, dressing and lunchtime activities
- Maintain appropriate records for students (e.g. health, attendance, etc.) respecting confidentiality and adhering to all privacy legislation
- Collaborate and maintain set-up of classroom (e.g. display, organization of materials etc.)
- Where applicable, attend staff meetings, appropriate school-level meetings and professional development activities
- Perform related administrative functions as required such as attendance and billing in the extended day program
- Complete any duties as assigned by Administrator or ECE Supervisor
Additional Responsibilities for Extended Day Program:
- Provide supervision and age-appropriate programming for students registered in grades Kindergarten though grade 6
- Perform related administrative functions as required
- Communicate with parents and school staff as appropriate
- Facilitate nutrition breaks
- Complete other related duties as assigned by the Administrator or ECE Supervisor
Rate of Pay for Daily Occasional Supply: $21.87 per hour
Rate of Pay (Grid) for Permanent & Long Term in an Assignment 40 consecutive days or more:
$21.87- $28.59 per hour**
*based on years of experience while being a member of the College of Early Childhood Educators*
**A shift allowance is provided to qualified RECEs in a permanent or long term 10:30 am to 6:00 pm assignment.
Schedule and Hours of Work:
Full-time positions: 7 hours/day plus ½ to 1 hour per day unpaid lunch
Part time positions: 3.5 hours/day
Schedules will vary from school to school and will range from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
RECEs are normally called for assignments that range from a start at 8:00 am to those that end at 6:00 pm. Long Term assignments may include schedules that commence at 7:00 am to 2:30 pm or 10:30 am to 6:00 pm
Application Requirements to be considered for daily occasional assignments and long-term occasional assignments:
- Copy of Roman Catholic Baptismal certificate. A Catholic Confirmation certificate is necessary ONLY if you were baptized in affiliation with a Christian denomination other than Roman Catholic.
- Catholic Pastoral Reference form: please complete priest reference form for Designated Early Childhood Educators available on our website chrome Link to Forms.
- If you are unable to provide a Catholic Pastoral Reference Form, please complete the Declaration of Commitment Form available on our website Form Here
- Member in Good Standing with the College of Early Childhood Educators
- Copy of Early Childhood Education diploma
- Current cover letter and resume
- Two (2) professional references (one reference must be immediate supervisor)
Applicants are required to apply directly through Apply to Education at: Apply Here.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
A Complete Application Checklist for Designated Early Childhood Educators can be found at: HERE
The successful candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Criminal Background Check. For further information on Criminal Background Checks, please refer to policy APS 038 on the website of the Waterloo Catholic District School Board.