The successful applicant will work closely with the Manager of Vanastra Early Childhood Learning Centre, assisting in the direction, management and coordination the operations of the Centre. The position will be comprised of both administrative and in classroom duties.
Applicants are required to have post-secondary education in Early Childhood Education or a related field, be certified, and in good standing with, the Association of Early Childhood Education of Ontario, and have experience in Early Childhood Education. Supervisory experience would be considered an asset.
2023 Salary Range Wage: $30.03 to $34.82 per hour (currently under review)
General Description (Overview) of Position:
1. Scope of Position
2. Key Responsibilities
- Assumes full responsibility of the Manager during their absence. When Manager is present, time is split between in program and in office duties.
- Executes the programs and activities of the Centre as directed by the Manager.
- Adheres to Centre and Legislative policies and procedures to ensure the safety of the children and coworkers.
- Report specific health concerns, accidents or occurrences to the Manager for further consultation.
2. Key Responsibilities
- Assume the full responsibilities of the Manager in their absence.
- Plans weekly activities and develops group teaching plan for each month.
- Submits teaching plan to Manager for approval and implementation.
- Sets up and supervises playrooms, ensuring all necessary toys and equipment are available in accordance with established themes and the room and toys are kept in clean condition.
- Conducts and ensures adherence to regular washroom, lunchtime and sleep routines in accordance with pre-established procedures.
- Ensures that the child’s environment is healthy and safe.
- Administers prescription medications, as required.
- Setups and supervises playground activities and organizes indoor activities during periods of inclement weather.
- Inspects playground equipment on a daily basis.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with children, parents/guardians, other staff, and agency professionals.
- Work cooperatively with team members to ensure necessary workflow and coverage.
- Conducts parent nights and participates in special events such as Holiday Concerts, fundraising, field trips etc.
- Provides stimulating, enriching, educational and fun programming for preschool children.
- Implements individually designed programs for children with special needs.
- Prepares reports for parents on strengths and needs of the children to be presented at the time of parent-teacher interviews.
- Identify and refer children with specific health, learning and/or behavioural challenges to the Manager for further consultation.
- Maintains confidentiality of all information related to the children, their parents and other staff.
- Trains and supervises student teachers during the school year.
- Coordinates volunteers for special events and activities.
- Remain up to date and adhere to policies and procedures at all times.
- Ensure work is performed in a safe manner according to health and safety guidelines and procedure.
- Assist with the ongoing operation of the Centre by following daycare licensing requirements and attending regular staff meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must hold an Early Childhood Education Diploma from a recognized community college
- Certification by the Association of Early Childhood Education of Ontario; must be a member in good standing with the Ontario college of ECE
- Must maintain clear Vulnerable Sector Reference Check
- Must have up to date Immunization and Health Assessment as per the local Ministry of Health
- First Aid CPR with AED
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in Early Childhood Education.
- Some supervisory experience and asset.
- Experience working with job related software (Microsoft Office, iOS).
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant legislation, licensing and regulations.
- Must be able to attend Professional Development Days as required.
- Must be competent within the meaning of the Occupational Health & Safety Act with a thorough knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety standards governing the Municipality.
- Must ensure a high level of confidentiality and professionalism at all times