Apply here: https://careers-uwaterloo.icims.com/jobs/9305/ecec-administrative-assistant/job
For more information about the position please contact Val Rozon at firstname.lastname@example.org
The ECEC Administrative Assistant provides a range of administrative support functions for the ECEC program, the ECEC Director and the Psychology Department.
Administrative services of the ECEC Main Office and the ECEC Children’s Program
- Provide exceptional customer service to the many ECEC clients in a professional and welcoming manner.
- Greets visitors to the ECEC, answers phone, e-mail and in person queries and provides direction and support
- Provides security checks of the ECEC entrants and is responsible for daily unlocking and locking of the area
- Ensures all office items are available and operating properly (photocopier, printer, paper shredder) and guides others in their use
- Calls in maintenance requests as needed
- Prepares and maintains all children’s files, lists for the school year such as attendance forms and daily health checks
- Places orders for program supplies
- Schedules parent tours, play visits for children and researcher observation sessions
- Maintains a petty cash for small purchases
- Active and responsible P-card holder to facilitate ECEC purchases
- Manages collection, recording and deposits of monthly parent fees.
- Prepares annual tax receipts and any fee refunds for child withdrawls or government fee reduction grants
- Initiates payment for casual staff on a bi-monthly basis in Workday in a timely and accurate manner
- Processes financial records for purchase and revenue transactions
- Gathers, formats and produces financial reports for the Director and funding agencies
- Organizes agendas, minutes, documentation and supporting materials for Staff Team meetings
- Prepares parking cards for ECEC parents and maintains the parking card list
- Monitors ECEC parking lot for proper use
- Arranges the placement of advertisements in various publications
- Reviews and maintains the ECEC on-line wait list
- Maintains an ECEC Administrative Assistant Job Tasks binder to ensure accurate support for others covering this position
Collection and maintenance of detailed files in accordance with Ministry of Education regulations for a licensed Child Care Centre
- Assumes responsibility that all front office administrative procedures and records meet the stringent licensing regulations to ensure our license is fully in compliance at all times.
- Prepares and maintains files for children enrolled in the program, students on placement, researchers, and all volunteers.
- Ensures established standards are followed for the collection and maintenance of all files
- Provides ongoing immunization reports to the Region of Waterloo Public Health Department
- Records messages in the daily logbook and illness on Region of Waterloo Public Health tracking forms
- Initiates, carries out and records monthly fire drills
- Ensures monthly playground and indoor safety inspections are completed and provides solutions to any issues that arise
Support to the ongoing Children’s Program
- Provides immediate back up support to educators in program on short notice when children need extra support, educators have an emergency or we have a teaching staff shortage.
- When in-program provides a developmentally appropriate experience to the children in their care while implementing the values included in our ECE Program Statement
- Prepares and distributes newsletters and notices to families and invitations to events
- Creates and updates ECEC Parent Sharepoint/Teams site ensuring proper permissions are in place to maintain security and confidentiality of posted documents
- Fills in as a Registered ECE when needed to meet staff to child ratios
- Responsible for full snack program (planning nutritionally balanced snack menus, completing the weekly grocery purchasing, training new staff on safe food handling procedures and ensuring allergy information is accurate and available to all staff).
- Assumes an active role alongside other ECEC staff with special projects or events
- Responsible for monthly Scholastic Books ordering, tallying and distribution
- Coordinates and schedules parent and student volunteers
- Responsible for coordination of parent teacher conferences twice a year (surveying parents, setting up schedules for staff, arranging parking, communicating changes to the team, greeting families and supporting teachers to stay on schedule).
- Provides training to new team members and student volunteers as required
- Actively participates in a Community of Practice with the full ECEC Staff Team to ensure the delivery of a high quality program to children and families
Key Computer/Tech Support Person to ECEC Team:
- Initiates tech support sessions for ECEC team providing training, step-by-step process information and follow up to their questions.
- Prepares tip sheets for ECEC staff related to various technology areas
- Provides immediate support to individuals when they encounter technology difficulties or wish to learn something new
- Maintains and helps create content for the ECEC website by maintaining webpages and updating content as needed
- Researches new technology tools that could be implemented in our program, makes recommendations to the Director and implements as needed
Support to the ECEC Director as required:
- At times acts as Designate Director when the Director is absent ensuring business continuity which includes scheduling and supervising Preschool Teachers and Teaching Assistants
- When acting as Designate Director ensures Centre is meeting its legal requirements under the Early Learning and Child Care Act
- Acts on issues in Director’s absence and is responsible to guide the team through any emergencies
- Maintains knowledge of all ECEC policies and procedures in order to make Designate Director decisions using accurate information
- Prepares correspondence, data and reports at the Director’s request
- Prepares financial summary reports for the Director as needed
- Confers with or escalates matters to the Director as appropriate
- Submits Region of Waterloo Subsidy reports
- Submits Enhanced Staffing payment requests to K-W Habilitation Services
- Completes parent tours
- Completes registration steps with families including paperwork, fee collection, orientation to ECEC and guidance on the first days
- Takes on special projects as needed
Support to the Administrative Coordinator, Graduate Studies
- Prepares, schedules and distributes information for the Ph.D. oral examinations.
- Completes Data entry into database
- Provides general administrative assistance for graduate program applications and scholarships
- Receives and combines documents and email for OGS applications
- Prepares and sends TA evaluations using Microsoft forms each term
- Schedules Proctors for mid-term and final exams
- Assists with updating and maintaining the graduate program web page and graduate student contact list
- Assists with the coordination of the BigSib program
- Responds to email inquiries pertaining to the psychology graduate program
Back-up Support for Psychology Support Service Staff
- Distributes department mail; prepares and forwards courier packages
- Unlocks and locks research area doors
- Orders supplies online
- Sends and receives print jobs
- Diploma or Degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development. Registered Early Childhood Educator with the College of ECE of Ontario
- Standard First Aid and CPR for infants, children and adults Certification
- Safe Food Handling Certification
- Clear Vulnerable Sector Check for working with young children
- 4 - 5 years administrative experience, with particular knowledge of the operation and legislation of a licensed Child Care Centre under the Ministry of Education.
- 4 – 5 years experience in a play based, emergent curriculum child care setting with preschool aged children
- Experience with and proficient in MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and a computer database program. Preferred experience in Sharepoint, WCMS and Quest.
- Detailed understanding of the Child Care and Early Years Act O.Reg 137/15 as well as Waterloo Public Health and Waterloo Fire Department regulations for licensed Child Care Centres
- Outstanding people skills with varied populations (children, parents, students, researchers, inspectors, educators) with proven success in providing superior customer service.
- Responsibility, maturity and excellent problem solving skills are critical.
- Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions and carry out specialized work with minimal supervision
- Constant attention to protecting private and confidential information.
- Demonstrated financial management skills
- Essential competencies include exceptional attention to detail, process implementation, organization and time management
- Proven communication skills that are clear, positive and professional in both written and oral formats
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with constantly changing priorities
- Professional demeanor and ability to exercise tact, judgement and discretion.
- Proven capacity to handle a high volume of requests and to multi-task as well as possess the ability to work efficiently in a busy environment with numerous interruptions.
- Some evening and weekend work is required for ongoing professional development and ECEC family events