Senior Library Assistant, Children’s Programmer
Pioneer Park Community Library
Day, evening and weekend shifts required
The Pioneer Park Community Library has an opening for a full-time Senior Library Assistant, Children’s Programmer. The position holder develops, conducts and promotes in-house children’s programs at the Community Library location.
The position holder also provides a high level of customer service for all members of the community in a way that meets their unique needs, regardless of their age, background, or ability level.
• Develops, plans and implements children’s programs, including publicity, preparing book displays, program registration and school/class visits.
• Provides reference, readers’ advisory services, technology support and advanced circulation services for customers of all ages and backgrounds, including customers that may be living with a disability, addiction, mental illness, be experiencing homelessness or have other complex needs. This is done in person or over the telephone. Practices pro-active reference in accordance with established standards.
• Instructs the public on the use of print and electronic resources including the library catalogue, and hardware, software, and electronic resources (databases) and services.
• Assists the Manager, Community Library in the smooth operation of the facility, including overseeing the branch location when the branch manager is absent and providing instruction to staff as required.
• Performs a variety of support duties as assigned, such as reserve processing, statistics recording, weeding, etc.
• Performs other support duties and participates on committees as required.
• Follows safe work practices and procedures in support of Kitchener Public Library’s Health and Safety Policy.
• Post-secondary degree/diploma in a field related to childhood development
• One to two years of previous library experience an asset
• Strong commitment to excellence in public service
• Knowledge and interest in children’s and teen literature
• Ability to be creative and innovative
• Demonstrated ability to interact positively and build relationships with customers in a way that meets their unique needs, regardless of their age, background, or ability level
• Ability to show sensitivity and respect for all customers
• Strong aptitude and interest in serving a diverse customer base including customers with complex needs
• Strong communication skills including the ability to assess customer needs, listen, respond and/or refer as required
• Ability to learn new technologies and work comfortably in an automated technological environment demonstrated through recent experience
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent written communication skills
• Strong instructional and teaching skills
• Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing needs and priorities
In accordance with the Library’s COVID-19 Vaccine policy, new Kitchener Public Library staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Valid medical or Ontario Human Rights Code exemptions are permitted.
Closing date for applications is Monday, February 21, 2022
To print a copy of our application form, go to www.kpl.org/jobs
Please address cover letters and résumés to:
Senior Manager, Human Resources
Kitchener Public Library
85 Queen Street North
Kitchener ON N2H 2H1
Salary range: $52,230 - $60,590
Please quote Senior Library Assistant, Children’s Programmer PP in the subject line
Kitchener Public Library strives to be a leader in equitable workplaces. We welcome applicants of every identity.
No telephone calls please.
We thank all applicants in advance and advise that we will contact only those selected for an interview. We will retain your application for a period of six months. Personal information on your résumé is collected under the authority of the Public Libraries Act, R.S.O. 1990 and will be used to determine eligibility for employment. For questions, please contact the Human Resources Department.
Kitchener Public Library is committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace where our behaviours and actions reflect our values of trust, mutual respect and dignity for all individuals.
We will provide accommodations for applicants with a disability upon request. Please contact Human Resources Staff by phone 519-743-0271 ext. 239 or TTY 1-877-6144832, or by email at email@example.com