Length: Casual Part-Time (4 positions)
Hours of Work: various shifts from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m, up to 24 hours per week
Wage: $25.45 – $28.93 per hour
Location: Various Regional Child Care Centres
Description of Duties:
Prepares nutritious meals and snacks for children attending the Child Care Centre and
staff, in accordance with Canada’s Food Guide and the Child Care & Early Years Act
requirements. Plans and posts menus, purchases supplies, cooks meals, and maintain
the kitchen in accordance with Health Regulations.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of large quantity cooking and the purchasing and preparation of food
for large groups normally acquired through a post secondary cooking course, a
Cook II certification course, or directly related experience or on-the-job training.
Current Certificate in Safe Food Handling is required.
• Must meet and maintain requirements detailed in the Child Care & Early Years
Act; must provide proof of and maintain a record of immunizations including TB
test, as recommended by the local Medical Officer of Health; complete and
maintain valid certification in standard first aid, including infant and child CPR;
and provide a vulnerable sector Police Records Check, prepared no earlier than
six months before hire, and every five years thereafter; must complete an annual
• Knowledge of basic nutrition and Canada's Food Guide and the ability to modify
meals for special dietary requirements.
• Computer skills using software such as an electronic order system.
• Ability to interact effectively with staff and children.
• Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
• Ability to read recipe and cooking methods books to plan meals.
• Ability to write rotational menus to be posted for viewing by parents.
• Ability to record messages for Child Care staff.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and
inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs
of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact Service
First Call Centre at phone number 519-575-4400, or TTY number (519-575-4608) to
request an alternate format.
Please apply online, by the closing date May 20, 2016 quoting competition number
2016-1370, or send your resume to: The Regional Municipality of Waterloo, Human
Resources, 150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
Thank you for your interest in this job, but we will only be corresponding with you if you
are selected for an interview.