LOCATION: Waterloo, Stork Family YMCA
POSITION: Supervisor, Children’s Program
HOURS: Fixed Term contract, 1 year- Full time hours
START DATE: January 2017
FUNCTION: The incumbent is responsible for ensuring excellence in member services through the leadership and administration of all Children’s related programs and services (preschool and youth programs). This includes determining areas for program improvements and coaching staff in delivering quality programs.
- Coordinate the development, consistent delivery of services and supervision of all children’s programs and services (0-12yrs)
- Recruitment, coaching and development, supervision and evaluation of all children’s program staff and volunteers.
- Ensure a safe environment.
- Provide leadership to the planning and management of the Member Services preschool and youth budgets and work plans.
- Assist the Director, Programs in developing an annual marketing and promotional plan including brochures, advertising, special promotions, schedules etc.
- Provide direct delivery of programs by following performance standards and expectations to build relationships and mentor staff – 10 – 15hrs / wk minimum.
- Ensure all YMCA Children’s programs and services are offered at appropriate times and in sufficient quantity to meet member and community interest and needs.
- Vision planning for all Children’s programs and services by evaluating current programs, exploring new trends and determining annual initiatives/directions resulting in member retention and new member recruitment.
- Act as a liaison between the Program Staff/Volunteers/Members/Participants and the Program Director/Team modeling positive, pro-active and on-going communication.
- Facilitate financial assistance arrangements for Children’s programs.
- Ensure YMCA program standards, policies and procedures are maintained.
- Manage all Children’s programs administration including invoicing, payroll, course inputs, additions, deletions, wait lists, etc.
- Monitor program statistics and registration.
- Attend workshops, trainings, conferences and staff meetings for the purpose of professional development as required
- Assumes other duties as assigned.
- Completion of Community College degree/diploma in Recreation & Leisure / ECE or related field.
- 2 - 3 years of related preschool / youth programming and supervisory experience.
- Standard First aid/CPR/AED.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- YMCA Group Fitness and / or Individual Conditioning Instructor (an asset)
- NLS certification (an asset)
- Acceptable Police Check.
Child and Youth Focused: Commits to assisting the personal growth and development of children and youth.
Coaching and Development: Commits to assisting participants, volunteers, staff to learn and grow personally and professionally.
Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner to support information sharing.
Concern for Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Leadership: Guides, motivates and inspires others to take action towards desired outcomes.
Problem Solving: Identifies an issue and works towards a solution.
Tolerance for Ambiguity: Functions effectively in situations of less than perfect or incomplete information.
NOTE: This position requires a commitment to the YMCA mission and core values, as well as, a commitment to building developmental assets in children and adults.
Applications are accepted electronically only. When applying, please quote posting number JP 138-2016, to:
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Thursday, November 3, 2016, noon
The YMCAs of Cambridge & Kitchener-Waterloo embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace, welcoming applications from all qualified persons. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation need known to the YMCA. The YMCAs comply with the Employment Standards Act, Pay Equity Legislation and privacy laws. In keeping with privacy laws, we are committed to protecting personal information by following responsible information handling practices. For more information on the YMCAs commitment to privacy, please visit our web site at www.ymcacambridgekw.ca. Only candidates under consideration will be contacted.