invites applications for temporary full-time
SHELTER OUTREACH COORDINATOR(Non-union Position)
References to “motel” will mean any alternate shelter location, outside the formal YW Emergency Shelter where we provide shelter services.
- Responds to request for services and processes intakes into motels.
- Completes required paperwork accordance with policies and procedures.
- Assists with community housing applications, referrals to market rent housing supports and other resources to assist in finding housing quickly.
- Refers motel clients for intake into a shelter within Waterloo Region for longer term stays and when more complex supports are required.
- To provide a motel stay for single women who are experiencing homelessness and assess their immediate and primary needs, and to assist them in securing safe and appropriate housing.
- To develop personal service plans with women including housing search plans, and to assist in developing, implementing and reviewing personal goals and referral to community supports so that they receive a continuum of care upon transitioning to permanent housing.
- To advocate with, and on behalf of, women in the acquisition of financial and other entitlements needed to help them secure housing.
- Establishes and maintains participant case files.
- Ensures completion of all documentation and data entry into HIFIS and SPDAT.
- Adheres to regulations and requirements of the Regional Municipality of Waterloo, Family and Children’s Services, Correctional Services Canada, the Residential Tenancy Act, other relevant legislation and regulations, and YW Kitchener-Waterloo policies and procedures.
- Monitors motel stays and taxi usage associated with motel stays, prepares and sends out monthly billings and ensures accurate payment is received.
- Prepares monthly revenue reports for submission to finance department.
- Be on rotation for on-call for 84 Frederick St.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Undergraduate degree in social work or equivalent human services education and one to three years’ experience in non-profit, social service and health agencies.
- Ability to assess the needs of clients and to work directly with women and families who experience a variety of challenges.
- Conceptual and theoretical knowledge of mental health issues, violence against women, women in conflict with the law, youth and adolescents, crisis and suicide intervention, addictions, life-skills training, counseling techniques and group dynamics.
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and relevant software, including HIFIS.
- Knowledge of YW Policies and Procedures.
- Ability to think independently, set priorities and resolve problems effectively and efficiently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Standard First Aid and CPR Level C.
- Harm Reduction, Overdose Prevention and De-escalation training.
- PPE and COVID Protocol Training.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
All employees of the YW are expected to demonstrate respect, empathy, and accountability to the people who access our services, and to attend work regularly as regular attendance is critical to maintaining the highest quality and level of service expected in delivering services.
YW reserves the right to deploy its employees to other shifts (including overnights and weekends), programs or positions within the homelessness and housing department based on program needs.
Starting Rate: $26.55 per hour
Weekly Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Start Date: Immediately
End Date: September 2022 (one-year contract contingent upon funding)
Please respond in writing by September 15, 2021 to:
YW Emergency Shelter
84 Frederick St.
Kitchener, ON N2H 2L7
YW is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from individuals of all races, colour, ethnic origin, religions, abilities, gender identity, and sexual orientations.
No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YW is committed to providing accommodations to people with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.