Jacob Hespeler Child Care Centre is a not-for-profit charitable organization providing inclusive high quality child care services to children (16 months – 12 years of age) and positive support to their families. We offer innovative and interactive learning opportunities embracing the Reggio Emilia approach that challenges and stimulates the children in a secure, respectful environment facilitated by qualified, nurturing professional staff.
We are currently searching for an Executive Director.
This position provides overall management and leadership in implementing Board policy and ensuring financial viability of all centres in a manner consistent with the mission and goals of the organization.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
Implement board policy and decisions
·Act as an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors and act as a resource so that policy decisions are made on an informed basis
·Keep board informed of significant issues affecting the development and delivery of programs and services
·Gather, interpret and articulate pertinent information to Board about legislative changes, government programs & subsidies, community trends, etc. as it relates to enhancing the Board’s capacity for effective communication, decision-making and long-term planning
·Provide guidance and advice to Board on process issues such as establishing and interpreting terms of reference, decision-making and accountability
·Write, maintain and update policies and procedures as per direction of the Board
· Attend and participate in meetings, assisting with materials, providing reports and recording notes/minutes for distribution
Monitor and oversee financial management of the organization
·Develop, review and monitor annual budget with Centre supervisors and act as liaison with Board Treasurer
·Process bi-weekly Payroll (~125 employees) and submit required remittances
·Provide financial reports for Board as requested
· Develop, update and monitor Strategic/Business Plans
· Identify, prioritize and provide advice and counsel to aid Board in accessing potential funding
· Maintain relationships with funding sources and prepare funding applications and proposals
·Negotiates staff compensation
· Maintain, acquire and dispose of physical assets (facilities, furniture and equipment) and provide recommendations to the Board for any expenditures/acquisitions outside the approved budget
·Liaise with Centres and act as a support for Centre supervisors to ensure policies and procedures, as set out by Board, are carried out
·Assist Centres with maintaining appropriate staffing consistent with centre needs and within constraints of the organization’s physical and financial resources
·Assist Centres in recruiting, selecting, hiring and enrolling and orienting staff; help recruit for new Board members as required
· Support annual program and staff/supervisor evaluation process
·Create and review job descriptions annually and maintain complete personnel records on all staff
Develop, plan and deliver programs and services
·Monitor policy and legislative changes and community trends on an ongoing basis, be aware and communicate changes that affect the delivery of child care within programs and services provided
·Monitor programs and services to ensure consistency with criteria established by funding sources and the mission and goals of the organization
·Actively participate in professional committees in an attempt to improve child care delivery in the community including liaising with various branches of government
·Annually prepare and provide to the Board, and other applicable bodies, summary reports of programs and services, including recommendations for future improvement and change
· Regularly obtain statistical and qualitative feedback about program and service delivery
· Review license applications and ensure all applications and other compliance-related licenses and documents are valid and up-to-date
·Ensure all serious occurrences have been reported to applicable parties (i.e. Ministry of Education, Child Care Quality & Assurance Branch, JHCCC Board of Directors Chair, etc.)
·Monitor staff benefits and property insurance programs
Establish, maintain and advance community relations
· Represent the organization on appropriate committees, network, and joint projects
· Be available to community groups for public events that pertain to early childhood and to family life as a whole
·Initiate and develop relationships with Centre supervisors, Board members and a broad range of community sectors including: school board(s), all levels of government and community groups, other non-profit organizations and business organizations
· Undertake activities within the Community that enhance the visibility of the organization by developing and providing information about the organization’s goals, programs and services
·Bachelor’s Degree (e.g., business administration, non-profit management or other related field) or equivalent experience.
·Minimum 5 years of progressive leadership experience in a non-profit/charity environment.
·Proficiency with MS Office; familiarity with QuickBooks bookkeeping and Ceridian Payroll software
·A working knowledge of the Day Nurseries Act/CCEY, Human Rights Code, Labour Relations Act, Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health & Safety Act, Canada Food Guide, and relevant Fire and Health Department regulations is preferred
·Must be able to pass a Police Vulnerable Sector Check
· Experience in initiating, planning, implementing and evaluating programs and services
·Demonstrated ability to direct and instruct staff at various levels of the organization
·Excellent verbal, written and listening communication skills
· Strong time management skills with the ability to accommodate competing demands
· Strong organizational skills with a focus on accuracy and attention to detail
· Ability to maintain confidentiality is a must
· Standard First Aid certificate is an asset
JHCCC offers a competitive compensation package including a comprehensive benefit package with a retirement savings plan. Qualified candidates should forward their resume in confidence by email to
Check out our website at www.jhchildcare.com to learn more about Jacob Hespeler Child Care Centres.
We thank all those who apply but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.