The Waterloo Region District School Board is situated in Canada’s innovation heartland, where we are innovating tomorrow by educating today. The Board provides a comprehensive educational program for approximately 64,000 students in the Region of Waterloo. The Board is the seventh largest public school district in Ontario with 16 secondary schools, 105 elementary schools, and approximately 8,500 staff
members. Additional information regarding the Board is available on the Board’s web site at www.wrdsb.ca.
Reporting to the Extended Day Program Manager, Financial Services, the successful candidate will partner with current Designated Early Childhood Educator (DECE) Supervisors to oversee the day‐to‐day operations of our growing Extended Day programs and be an active leader in the recruitment and hiring of new DECEs. The successful applicant for this Mid‐Management Level 2 position ($72,952 – $84,920), will be working 40 hours per week, 12 months per year, effective March 4, 2019. This includes school closure periods where the Extended Day programs operate such as winter break and March break. Working hours will vary from 6:45 a.m to 6:15 p.m to support staff questions or emergencies in the Extended Day program.
There may be times when work outside of these hours is required.
Description of Duties:
Directly supervises board operated Extended Day programs to ensure high quality, inclusive care for children ranging in age from junior kindergarten to grade 6 in a manner that supports their growth and development and adheres to the Education Act, the Early Childhood Educators Act, Family Services Act,
Ministry Guidelines for Before‐and‐After School Programs and Waterloo Region District School Board policies and procedures.
● Project commitments compatible with the organization (service, integrity, respect, innovation and collaboration);
● Take individualized action to maintain a current understanding of policies, procedures, legislation and changes to professional practice as they relate to the field of Early Childhood
● Recruit and support the hiring process for Designated Early Childhood Educators;
● Support school Principals with Extended Day absence management;
● Respond to inquiries from parents, Principals, Staff and community partners regarding program information and conflict resolution;
● Instruct and train staff in specific work methods and procedures;
● Ensure adequate supports are in place to support all children and families (Safety, Allergy, Medical or Support Plans);
● Communicate with parents and the broader community around the Extended Day program;
● Collaborate with Learning Services, Human Resource Services and our labour partners to plan and deliver professional development opportunities for staff;
● Provide guidance and instruction on food quality, safety and quantity for the program when required;
● Work collaboratively as a member of the Financial Services team to meet department and organizational objectives; and
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● Have a Bachelor level degree specializing in Early Childhood Education or a diploma in Early Childhood Education from a recognized community college;
● Be registered and in good standing with the Ontario College of Early Childhood Educators;
● Have a minimum of 3 years experience working in an early years or school setting;
● Must possess a valid standard First Aid and CPR certificate;
● Provide an acceptable Police Reference Check for vulnerable sector in order to ensure suitability for working with vulnerable persons;
● Possess a valid Ontario Driver’s license;
● Communication and human relations skills in order to advise and supervise staff, provide confidential information to support parents, and participate as an effective team member;
● Demonstrate exemplary knowledge of play‐based learning as defined in the Kindergarten program (2016), How Does Learning Happen? Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years and the Ministry Guidelines for Before and After School programs for Extended Day programs;
● Demonstrate knowledge of WRDSB policies and procedures, applicable legislation (e.g., Ministry of Education, College of Early Childhood Educators, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Family Services Act and Privacy Legislation); and
● Demonstrate proficiency with technology and advanced computer applications (Microsoft, Adobe, Google suite of tools).
Candidates are asked to electronically submit a copy of their covering letter and resume, quoting posting #19.011 – DECE Supervisor, no later than 4:00 p.m. on February 20, 2019 to Laurie Pett, Human Resources Officer at management‐email@example.com.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
The WRDSB is committed to equity for all students and staff, and to delivering the highest quality of education through a qualified workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
Upon request, we will provide reasonable accommodations in the hiring process to support applicant with disabilities.
John Bryant Jayne Herring
Director of Education and Secretary Chairperson of the Board