YW Emergency Shelter Services
To operate a 60 bed emergency shelter for women, transgendered people and families who are experiencing homelessness.
- Undergraduate degree in Social Services or equivalent human services education
- Masters in Social Work would be an asset
- A minimum of 5 years management experience with individuals in a mental health/addictions setting preferred
- A minimum of 3 years management experience in a residential or shelter setting
- Conceptual and theoretical knowledge of strength based mental health approaches, addictions, trauma, violence against women, women in conflict with the law, youth and adolescents, crisis and suicide intervention
- Proven skills in support, counseling, conflict resolution, crisis intervention and suicide prevention and de-escalation skills
- First Aid and CPR Level C Certification
- Overdose Prevention Training
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills - A significant level of trust and diplomacy is required, in addition to normal courtesy and tact. Work involves extensive personal contact with others and is usually of a personal or sensitive nature. Work may involve motivating or influencing others.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES include but is not limited to:
- Directly manages the operation of YWCA Emergency Shelter Services in accordance with all relevant legislation and regulations including MCSS, Child & Family Services Act, Region of Waterloo, YWCA Kitchener-Waterloo policies and procedures, beliefs and values, and the program philosophy.
- Recruits and directly supervises shelter staff. Arranges staff training in order to maintain a high quality of service.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures for the effective and efficient operation of YW Emergency Shelter Services as required.
- Conducts performance appraisals bringing issues of urgency, concerns and disciplinary actions to the Director
- Approves all disciplinary action against shelter clients such as program restrictions, termination and planned intakes as per the Region of Waterloo Shelter Guidelines.
- Schedules and facilitates regular meetings with staff to discuss and solve problems, set department goals, monitors and reviews specific clients and to develop programs.
- Ensures the development, implementation and evaluation of individual and group programs that respond to the individual and cultural needs of clients. Seeks input from clients for the effective operation of the facility and services.
- Assess the short term and long-term needs of clients through the use of SPDAT surveys and Housing Plans as required by the Region of Waterloo Shelter Guidelines.
- Monitors case files and logbook.
- Manages/monitors housing plans.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with other community agencies. Ensures that appropriate and effective referrals are made to other services in order to meet clients’ unique needs.
- Makes presentations and gives tours to service clubs, foundations, individuals and other funding bodies.
- Ensures that nutritious and appealing meals are planned, prepared, and served in accordance with Safe Food Handling, Canada Food Guide, and other pertinent legislation, standards and guidelines.
- Be on call for the shelter.
- Performs other related duties as required.
YW employees are expected to demonstrate respect, empathy, and accountability to the people who access our services, and to attend work regularly as regular attendance is critical to maintaining the highest quality and level of service expected in delivering services.
Starting Salary: $62,904.94 to start
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Please respond in writing by August 15, 2018 to:
153 Frederick Street
Kitchener, ON N2H 2M2
YW is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from individuals of all races, colour, ethnic origin, religions, abilities, gender identity, and sexual orientations.
YW is committed to providing accommodations to people with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Due to the number of applications we receive, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.