Posted Date: Wednesday May 22, 2019
Closing Date: Friday May 31, 2019
Major Responsibilities include:
- Promote and explain summer reading engagement activities for kids at WPL
- Facilitate Summer Reading Club (SRC) check-ins and manage all aspects of the SRC hub
- Plan, prepare and facilitate pop up activities for children in the library
- Support community events and activities alongside WPL staff
- Assist programmers in the delivery of summer programming and activities
- Plan and prepare end of summer programming for SRC participants
- Assist library staff with the preparation of program materials and resources
- Sort and re-shelve returned library materials and support the general maintenance of public spaces
- Respond to basic inquiries from customers
- Other duties as assigned
The successful applicant will possess these qualifications:
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to work with children. Experience working with children and creating lesson plans would be an asset.
- Organized with strong attention to detail, communication and technology skills.
- Motivated, reliable and able to work responsibly, consistently and accurately with minimal supervision.
- Physically able to push/pull loaded book trolleys and carry materials with the physical flexibility to retrieve and shelve materials (requires bending, kneeling, lifting, etc. and being on one’s feet for the majority of each shift). Physical stamina to move through all areas of the library.
Applicants for this position must meet the following criteria as established under the conditions of our funding for this position.
· Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
· A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
· In possession of a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Rate of Pay: $14.00 / hour
Straight time. No extended benefits. Contract position. Staff Manual applies. Location for work could be at any WPL location as well as external festival/park sites.
Start Date: June 26 – August 23, 2019
Shifts: Varied. Include evenings and alternating Saturdays as well as some special events which present irregularities to the regular schedule. 35 hours per week.
Please submit your cover letter and resume by 9pm on May 31, 2019 to: firstname.lastname@example.org (please put the position title in the subject line)
Waterloo Public Library welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.