invites applications for the temporary full-time position of:
EMPLOYMENT COUNSELLOR – In Her Shoes (Youth)
Duration: Approximately 6 moths (March 2020 to September 18, 2020)
In Her Shoes is an employment and entrepreneurship program focused on teaching women, transgender, and non-binary youth between the ages of 15-30 online and bricks and mortar business and retail skills. This position will successfully develop and deliver our In Her Shoes - Youth Skills Link training program to youth in need of assistance to overcome significant employment barriers and work towards financial security. The Employment Counsellor will assist youth to develop a broad range of life and employability skills and knowledge in order to participate in the current and future labour market while working with our Social Enterprise Coordinator to build their technical skills and digital literacy.
- Support YW Kitchener-Waterloo mission, vision and values
- Recruitment of Participants:
- Perform all marketing and outreach activities to recruit participants
- Perform intakes and needs assessments as prescribed by program guidelines
- Supporting Participants:
- Assist youth to develop and enhance their life and employability skills through coaching, mentoring and individualized support.
- Identify barriers to employment and assist participants with such matters as job readiness skills, job search strategies, identifying job goals, writing résumés and preparing for job interviews.
- Provide employment and career development advise
- Assess needs for social support such as addiction support, counselling, housing, financial aid or further education/training and refer participants to community resources and supports as applicable.
- Programming Curriculum:
- Design and facilitate daily life skills and employment skills workshops
- Adapt instructional strategies and materials according to the needs of the participants.
- Assist with technical skills training and assist youth with further training and completion of job tasks while working in the ‘In Her Shoes’ Social Enterprise.
- Job Development:
- Conduct ongoing research of and outreach to employers, community resources and programs to develop job placements and opportunities for youth employment post their involvement in our In Her Shoes (Youth) program.
- Assist youth to make successful transitions into the labour market, school or college.
- Assessment, Evaluation & Reporting
- Evaluate, monitor and document participants’ progress and activities.
- Provide accurate and timely activity reports
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have a valid degree/diploma/certificate/ in Career Development, Social Services, Job Development, Human Resources, or a combination of related work and academic experience
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience
- Ability to work in a performance-based system with a proven track record of meeting targets and deadlines.
- Ability to work well with minimal supervision as well as in a team environment
- Knowledge of instructional methods and experience developing and delivering training content
- Experience working with at-risk youth and youth with diverse backgrounds who face multiple barriers to financial security.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and presentation skills
- High level of human relations skills to establish and maintain appropriate communication links with participants and stakeholders
- Ability to think independently, set priorities and resolve problems effectively and efficiently.
- Strong time-management skills and ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Multicultural sensitivity and the ability to work in a multicultural/multiracial organization
- Knowledge of the Kitchener-Waterloo labour market and industry trends
- Proficiency in Google Apps and email, and working knowledge of Mac operating systems and online software programs.
- Understanding or experience of retail or e-commerce work environments considered an asset.
All employees of the YW are expected to demonstrate respect, empathy, and accountability to the people who access our services, and to attend work regularly as regular attendance is critical to maintaining the highest quality and level of service expected in delivering services.
Rate of Pay: $25.77 to $26.00 per hour
Hours: 37.5 hours per week (12:30pm to 8:30pm Monday to Friday)
Duration: Approximately 6 months - March 2020 to September 18, 2020
Please respond with resume by midnight January 24, 2020 to:
Sandra Shan, Director, Human Resources
153 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2H 2M2
YW Kitchener-Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from individuals of all races, colour, ethnic origin, religions, abilities, gender identity, and sexual orientations. No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YW Kitchener-Waterloo is committed to providing accommodations to people with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.