invites applications for the temporary full-time position of:
EMPLOYMENT COUNSELLOR – In Her Shoes (Youth)
Duration: Approximately 8 months (October, 2021 – June, 2022)
In Her Shoes: Youth is an employment program for young people who are experiencing significant barriers to securing employment. In this program, participants receive career management skills, technical training and work experience in our social enterprise store, In Her Shoes YW.
This position will successfully deliver our In Her Shoes: Youth employment training program to young women (cis and trans) & gender-diverse people aged 15-30 who are seeking assistance to overcome their employment barriers and build skills towards sustainable financial security. The Employment Counsellor will coach participants to develop a broad range of life, employability and career management skills in order to participate in the current and future labour market while working within our social enterprise, inhershoesyw.com and our bricks and mortar store on Frederick St, Kitchener, to build their technical skills and digital literacy.
- Support YW Kitchener-Waterloo mission, vision and values
- Recruitment of Participants:
- Perform all marketing and outreach activities to recruit participants
- Perform intakes and needs assessments as prescribed by program guidelines
- Supporting Participants:
- Assist youth to develop and enhance their life and employability skills through coaching, mentoring and individualized support.
- Identify barriers to employment and assist participants with such matters as job readiness skills, job search strategies, identifying job goals, writing résumés and preparing for job interviews.
- Provide employment and career development advise
- Assess needs for social support such as addiction support, counselling, housing, financial aid or further education/training and refer participants to community resources and supports as applicable.
- Programming Curriculum:
- Design and facilitate daily life skills and employment skills workshops.
- Adapt instructional strategies and materials according to the needs of the participants.
- Assist with technical skills training and supervise participants with further training and completion of job tasks while working in the ‘In Her Shoes YW’ Social Enterprise.
- Job Development:
- Conduct ongoing research of and outreach to employers, community resources and programs to develop job placements and opportunities for youth employment post their involvement in our In Her Shoes: Youth program.
- Assist youth to make successful transitions into the labour market, school or college.
- Assessment, Evaluation & Reporting
- Evaluate, monitor and document participants’ progress and activities.
- Provide accurate and timely activity reports to funders.
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have a valid degree/diploma/certificate/ in Career Development, Social Services, Job Development, Human Resources, or a combination of related work and academic experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience
- Ability to work in a performance-based system with a proven track record of meeting targets and deadlines.
- Ability to work well with minimal supervision as well as in a team environment.
- Knowledge of instructional methods and experience developing and delivering training content.
- Experience working with marginalized 15-30 year olds and youth with diverse backgrounds who face multiple barriers to financial security.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
- High level of human relations skills to establish and maintain appropriate communication links with participants and stakeholders.
- Ability to think independently, set priorities and resolve problems effectively
- Strong time-management skills and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of the Kitchener-Waterloo labour market and industry trends.
- Proficiency in Google Apps and email, and working knowledge of computer operating systems and online software programs.
- Must provide a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost.
- Must have current Emergency First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost.
- Mental Health First Aid and receiving disclosure training considered an asset.
- Understanding or experience of retail or e-commerce work environments considered an asset.
- Must be able to work from a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a motor vehicle is an asset, must be able to travel as required (minimal local travel may be required).
All employees of the YW are expected to demonstrate respect, empathy, and accountability to the people who access our services, and to attend work regularly as regular attendance is critical to maintaining the highest quality and level of service expected in delivering services.
Pay: $26.28 to $26.81 per hour
Hours: 37.5 hours per week (10:00 am - 6:00 pm Monday to Friday)
Duration: Approximately 8 months - October 4, 2021 – June 17, 2022 pending funding approval
Location: Remote and in person work at our Frederick Street, Kitchener locations
Please respond with résumé by midnight September 14, 2021 to:
Coordinator of Training and Employment Services
153 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2H 2M2
YW Kitchener-Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from individuals of all races, colour, ethnic origin, religions, abilities, gender identity, and sexual orientations.
No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YW Kitchener-Waterloo is committed to providing accommodations to people with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.