Wage: $26.07 – $29.63 per hour
Location: Region of Waterloo Library Headquarters, 2017 Nafziger Road, Baden
Description of Duties:
- Encourages family literacy through the development of literacy focused programs and resource materials for the public and Region of Waterloo Library (RWL) staff
Enhances library Family Reading Corners based on Every Child Ready to Read practices.
- Develops creative maker spaces for children’s activities.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of public library services and children’s literature, family literacy and child development, normally acquired through the attainment of an Early Childhood Education degree/diploma, plus two years directly related experience working with children, adults and information resources, preferably in a library setting. Knowledge of local rural communities.
- Ability to exercise patience and tact with groups ranging from 5-50 children during library program events; interact and establish empathy with children. Creativity and imagination are needed to plan and offer a variety of programs and motivate children and their families to read and use the library. Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Proficiency in the use of a computer, using software such as Microsoft Office applications, Sirsi library system, the Internet, and early literacy software. Ability to troubleshoot computer hardware and software.
- Ability to read books, articles and other materials to maintain an up-to-date knowledge of library resources and literacy.
- Ability to write occasional articles for the local newspapers and to create promotional materials and displays.
- Ability to communicate with groups of all ages, deliver children’s programs, conduct presentations, and provide information on library services. Ability to communicate daily with library RWL staff in person, by telephone and email.
- Ability to travel to various locations within the Region.
- Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact Human Resources Reception at phone number (519-575-4444), TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Please apply online, before 11:59 PM on Dec 27, 2013 quoting competition number 2013-1722, or send your resume to: The Regional Municipality of Waterloo, Human Resources, 150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.