Cultural Diversity Specialist
LOCATION: Cambridge, YMCA Community Services Office
HOURS: Full Time (day, afternoon, evening & weekends)
START DATE: October, 2016
Function: Assist newcomers and Canadian citizens in working together to advance capacity building, education, inclusion and advocacy for cultural diversity in Cambridge.
· Coordinate and communicate with YMCA Cross Cultural and Immigrant Services and International
Development areas (YMCA Immigrant and Employment Services and other Community Services programs)
· Recruit, train, supervise and evaluate staff and volunteers
· Co-chair, plan and organize the Cambridge International Festival
· Regularly update and develop a plan for cultural diversity initiatives (annual and strategic)
· Develop and maintain an annual financial plan
· Lead, develop and deliver consultative services/trainings on cultural diversity, human rights and equity (and inclusion) to community groups, agencies and organizations
· Design, coordinate, implement and evaluate cultural diversity programs and initiatives
· Research economic, social and demographic trends for New Canadians (relevant to the community)
· Provide support and intervention to deal with locally identified needs related to cultural conflict
· Conduct, gather, review and share information obtained in the annual Diversity Survey
· Support the Organization, execution and cultural celebrations such as but not limited to: Peace Week, Black
History Month, Multicultural Day, (World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development, World Refugee Day)
· Develop new projects and programs (in collaboration with other YMCA departments or other agencies)
which support and enhance the integration of newcomers into the community
· Provide written and verbal progress reports to Cambridge City Council, Community and Funding Partners as well as YMCA Staff and Board of Directors
· Prepare annual funding proposals to the City of Cambridge and other funders
· Assist in the collection of statistics and information for monthly/annual reports
· Attend workshops, trainings, conferences and staff meetings as required
· Assume other duties as assigned
· Related university degree such as social work, sociology, anthropology or political science or other studies relevant to the position
· 3-4 years of community development/initiative experience in a cross-cultural setting
· Event planning experience
· Second Language (oral and written) a considerable asset
· Training in Anti-racism, cultural awareness, human rights and/or conflict resolution an asset
· Intermediate computer knowledge of Microsoft Office
· Strong communication and organizational skills
· Acceptable Police Check
Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner to support information sharing.
Concern for Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Initiative: Knows when to do the right thing.
Tolerance for Ambiguity: Functions effectively in situations of less than perfect or incomplete information.
In addition to the above competencies the Association Core Competencies are required, Service Orientation, Commitment to Organization Vision and Values, Diversity, Integrity, Teamwork
Note: This position requires a commitment to the YMCA mission and core values, as well as a commitment to building developmental assets in children and adults.
Applications are accepted electronically only. When applying, please quote posting number JP 126-2016, to
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 3:00 pm
The YMCAs of Cambridge & Kitchener-Waterloo embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace, welcoming applications from all qualified persons. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the YMCA. The YMCAs comply with the Employment Standards Act, Pay Equity Legislation and privacy laws. In keeping with privacy laws, we are committed to protecting personal information by following responsible information handling practices. For more information on the YMCAs commitment to privacy, please visit our web site at www.ymcacambridgekw.ca.
Only candidates under consideration will be contacted.