The Youth Worker will develop, plan and facilitate activities for Community Sheroes, a mentorship program for girls 12-16 centered on social justice, leadership, team work, citizenship, and community development and change. This position is responsible for organizing weekly programming opportunities, including activities to enhance understanding of community and systemic issues, social justice initiatives, advocacy and change making, as well as organizing volunteer opportunities for program participants and mentors.
- Degree or diploma in the area of social work, social justice, women’s studies, child and youth worker, recreation or other relevant field of study.
- Work experience with youth, developing and facilitating youth-led programming.
- Awareness of issues and community resources relevant to pre-teen and teenage girls.
- Creativity and skill in researching relevant activities to provide diversity in programming.
- Working knowledge of program evaluation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work with and liaison with multiple stakeholders, including program participants, parents, community centre staff, guest facilitators, etc.
- Tolerance of Ambiguity and the ability to be able to change tasks or directions with ease, make back up plans, and explore new ways of delivering programming.
- Working knowledge and experience working with youth to influence change in the community is considered an asset.
- Self-motivated with the ability to complete planning and facilitation work independently.
- Standard First Aid and CPR Level C certification
Rate of Pay: $20.7376 per hour, with an additional 2% in lieu of benefits
Hours: 5 hours per week
(Two hours in program, three hours planning time, evenings & weekends required)
Please respond with resume by midnight March 28, 2018 to:
Jennifer Gordon, Director, Youth Services
153 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2H 2M2
Fax: 519-576-0129. firstname.lastname@example.org
YW Kitchener-Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from individuals of all races, colour, ethnic origin, religions, abilities, gender identity, and sexual orientations. No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YW Kitchener-Waterloo is committed to providing accommodations to people with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.