What we are Seeking To Do: Many assets and supports have been added into the system of child and youth services over the past few years in the name of equity. At the same time, there continues to be gaps and harm in the system. In thinking about how the CYPT collaborative is uniquely positioned, we want to consider existing community input regarding equity, and hear from grassroots and larger organizations, to identify the most impactful ways the CYPT structure can support system-wide equity for children and youth. We are looking to work with a Consultant who can support this endeavor. Clarifying Info: We envision that consultation will be with current CYPT members, and those who may be interested in future membership with the CYPT.
Guiding Principles: We value the opportunity this project offers to support the human rights of our community members. With that sprit, we aim for the following principles to guide the work:
1. All the voices that want to be heard will be heard.
2. Space that welcomes curiosity and compassion will be created, while also accepting the discomfort and strong emotions that may emerge.
3. Work will be directly informed by the equity needs expressed by traditionally under represented communities.
4. Work will be directly informed by the equity needs expressed by children and youth.
5. Participants will need to share their truth, while also being open to personally evolving, and to releasing any agendas and/or expectations for the outcomes of this project.
6. The results will be intentionally informed by the community, and intentionally actioned by the collective.
• Lead an asset/strengths assessment of equity resources, practices and supports across the CYPT network.
• Collaboratively with communities, and using culturally appropriate methods, identify system-level equity gaps related to children and youth.
• Develop recommendations regarding what CYPT is best positioned to address in the name of system-wide equity for children and youth.
Desired Skills and Assets of a Consultant:
• Ability to lead with curiosity and to create an environment that fosters curiosity and compassion.
• Alignment to the principles outlined for this project.
• Experience working with equity-deserving groups, and an understanding of the harm that can be caused by systems.
• Experience working with children and youth.
• Strong understanding and experience of Waterloo Region.
• Ability to ground the work in community-based research, and/or consult with academia.
• Readiness to build on pre-existing studies/reports that exist (CYPT will gather for the consultant).
• Ability to recognize personal biases and keep the project objective and principles the priority.
• Consultants with lived experience from a traditionally underrepresented community(s) are encouraged to apply.
Contract Funding: $20,000
Other Funds Available: $2,500 for stipends/honorariums to support consultation with informants.
Timeline: January – June 2024