TEAM LEAD – YOUTH PROGRAMS JP107-2016
EMPLOYED BY: The YMCAs of Cambridge & Kitchener-Waterloo
SERVICE AREA: Community Services
POSITION: Team Lead – Youth Program
LOCATION: Cambridge and/or Kitchener-Waterloo
REPORTS TO: Supervisor, Youth Programs
HOURS: Part Time (evenings & weekends as required)
START DATE: September 26, 2016
FUNCTION: Support and facilitate the creation of a safe, strength based, environment for youth to engage and participate through the guidance of youth workers to deliver quality programs. Support youth workers to assist youth who have specialized conditions/circumstances such as physical disabilities, mental health challenges, and varied family, cultural and educational backgrounds.
- Ensure all youth are able to participate in activities
- Engage youth in discussions, planning and operations of programs
- Seek opportunities to meet outcomes of programs
- Responsible for orientation and program supervision of staff and volunteers
- Maintain a pro-active approach to ensuring safety and equipment/programs areas are clean and well-maintained
- Responsible for opening and closing program areas
- Plan and delivery of daily program activities in accordance with YMCA Best Practices
- Participate in field trips as required/scheduled
- Be a positive role model at all times
- Demonstrate and ensure behaviour guidelines/protocols are followed
- Facilitate appropriate and timely solutions to conflicts/situations as they arise
- Build and maintain professional relationships with youth and parents/guardians and community organizations
- Coach and mentor youth through issues
- Outreach into the community regarding promotion of programs
- Maintain accurate records regarding registration, attendance, logs
- Ensure completion of regular outcomes measurement expectations
- Assist with the development of staff training to generate knowledge and understanding of resources, programming and activity ideas
- Order and monitor program supplies/food to maintain a quality level for programs
- Attend workshops, trainings, conferences and staff meetings as required.
- Assume other duties as assigned
- College Diploma in Human Services, Child Youth Worker or related field
- 3 - 5 years demonstrated experience working with youth
- Demonstrated experience working with teams
- Essential Skills: Reliability; requires sensitivity and holistic understanding of persons, Flexibility; judgement related to youth guidance and parent interactions, Confidentiality; of personal information and situations. Outcomes Oriented
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
Problem Solving: Identify an issue; gather, process relevant information coming up with possible solutions, select appropriate responses & implement them.
Conflict Resolution: Facilitate appropriate and timely solutions to conflict.
Flexibility and Adaptability: Able to work quickly and efficiently despite ambiguity, respond to unforeseen opportunities and issues with confidence, integrate new information as it becomes available.
Leadership: Motivate and inspire self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
Results Oriented: The ability to manage and lead to achieve and exceed identified goals.
NOTE: This position requires a commitment to the YMCA mission and core values, as well as a commitment to building developmental assets in children and adults.
Applications are accepted through email only. When applying, please quote posting number JP107-2016, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, August 23, by 3:00 pm.
The YMCAs of Cambridge & Kitchener-Waterloo embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace, welcoming applications from all qualified persons. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation need known to the YMCA. The YMCAs comply with the Employment Standards Act, Pay Equity Legislation and privacy laws. In keeping with privacy laws, we are committed to protecting personal information by following responsible information handling practices. For more information on the YMCAs commitment to privacy, please visit our web site at www.ymcacambridgekw.ca . Only candidates under consideration will be contacted.