As a Designated Early Childhood Educator (DECE) you will be available for daily occasional, long term and permanent assignments. The responsibilities of the position include collaborating with the classroom teacher to plan and implement the Early Learning Kindergarten program within a classroom setting and/or taking the lead in implementing age appropriate learning for groups of students as part of the Extended Day Program.
The DECE will deliver a faith-based full day early learning kindergarten program in an environment to enhance children’s cognitive, physical, social, spiritual and emotional development.
- Baptized and Practicing Roman Catholic
- A two year community college Early Childhood Education Diploma with experience in a childcare or educational setting;
- Member in Good Standing with the Ontario College of Early Childhood Educators;
- Knowledge of Ministry of Education full day early learning kindergarten program;
- Experience in planning and implementing age appropriate programs;
- Basic computer competency;
- Knowledge of related legislation and pertinent Board policies and directives such as, but not limited to Administration of Medication and/or Special Services
- Ability to stand/walk for extended periods and move/carry equipment for program; and must be able to physically assist children as required (e.g. lifting).
All those interested in applying to this opportunity must apply directly to the posting currently available on
Apply to Education website : www.applytoeducation.com.
To ensure your application is complete, please include all of the following information:
- Catholic Pastoral Reference form: please complete priest reference form for Designated Early Childhood Educators available on our website https://www.wcdsb.ca/careers/how-to-apply/
- Copy of Baptismal certificate. A Confirmation certificate is sufficient ONLY if you were baptized in affiliation with a Christian denomination other than Roman Catholic.
- A complete Declaration of Commitment available on our website: https://www.wcdsb.ca/careers/how-to-apply/
- Member in Good Standing with the College of Early Childhood Educators
- Copy of Early Childhood Education diploma
- Current cover letter and resume
- Two (2) professional references(one reference must be immediate supervisor)
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with children, parents, staff and the general public;
- Proven ability to follow organizational policies and procedures in an appropriate and timely manner;
- Strong organization and time management skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge of classroom management.
- One year experience as an ECE in a childcare centre and Early Learning Program is preferred however new graduates are welcome to apply
- Current certificate in First Aid and CPR
- Partner with the classroom teacher and other designated staff to plan and implement the early learning kindergarten and extended day program(s) through developmentally appropriate curriculum-based activities;
- Collaborate with the classroom teacher and other designated staff to support individual student’s identified needs, strengths, interests and stages of development;
- Observe, monitor and assess the development of pupils in Kindergarten and/or Extended Day Program;
- Collaborate with the classroom teacher and special education teacher to carry out specialized activities to support learning for children requiring an Individual Education Plan (IEP);
- Collaborate with extended day team to implement a developmentally appropriate curriculum based on the extended day expectations;
- Maintain a healthy, physical, emotional and social learning context for students;
- Provide a variety of experiences to strengthen pro-social skills such as sharing, problem solving and cooperation;
- Provide guidance in washroom routines, dressing and lunchtime activities;
- Maintain appropriate records for students (e.g. health, attendance, etc.) respecting confidentiality and adhering to all privacy legislation;
- Collaborate and maintain set-up of classroom (e.g. display, organization of materials etc.);
- Where applicable, attend staff meetings, appropriate school-level meetings and professional development activities;
- Perform related administrative functions as required such as attendance and billing in the extended day program
- Complete any duties as assigned by principal.
- Provide supervision and age appropriate programming for children aged 4 to 12 years;
- Perform related administrative functions as required;
- Communicate with parents and school staff as appropriate;
- Facilitate nutrition breaks;
- Complete other related duties as assigned by the principal.
Rate of Pay for Daily Occasional Supply: $20.70 per hour
Rate of Pay (Grid) for Permanent & Long Term in an Assignment 40 consecutive days or more: $20.70 - $27.07 per hour*
*based on years of experience while being a member of the College of Early Childhood Educators
Schedule and Hours of Work:
Full-time positions: 7 hours/day plus ½ to 1 hour per day unpaid lunch
Part time positions: 3.5 hours/day
Schedules will vary from school to school and will range from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.
DECEs are normally called for assignments that range from a start at 8 am to those that end at 6:00 pm.
Long Term assignments may include schedules that commence at 7:00 am to 2:30 pm or 10:30 am to 6:00 pm.
Applicants are required to apply directly through Apply to Education at: www.applytoeducation.com
A Complete Application Checklist for Designated Early Childhood Educators can be found at: https://www.wcdsb.ca/careers/how-to-apply/
Please ensure all documentation required in the checklist is submitted - “incomplete applications are not considered”
Applications and supporting documentation stating qualifications and teaching experience will be received until August 3rd at 4pm via website: www.applytoeducation.com
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board is welcoming of candidates from diverse communities, backgrounds and identities and encourages applications from qualified members of these groups.
To request this file in large print, please email email@example.com. If you require a disability related accommodation to participate the recruitment process, please contact us at (519) 578-3677, extension 2368 to discuss your needs under the Human Rights Code. Responses to inquiries will be provided within 72 hours.
The successful candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Criminal Background Check. For further information on Criminal Background Checks, please refer to policy APS 038 on the website of the Waterloo Catholic District School Board.