Designated Early Childhood Educators
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board is currently recruiting for the DECE supply list for the 2016-17 school year.
As a Supply Designated Early Childhood Educator (DECE) you will be available for both daily occasional and long term assignments. The responsibilities of the position include collaborating with the classroom teacher to plan and implement a full day early learning kindergarten program within a classroom setting and/or taking the lead in implementing age appropriate learning for groups of students as part of the extended day program.
The supply DECE will assist in delivering a faith-based full day early learning kindergarten program and environment to enhance children’s cognitive, physical, social, spiritual and emotional development.
- A two year community college Early Childhood Education Diploma with experience in a childcare or educational setting;
- Member in Good Standing with the Ontario College of Early Childhood Educators;
- Knowledge of Ministry of Education full day early learning kindergarten program;
- Experience in planning and implementing age appropriate programs;
- Basic computer competency;
- Knowledge of related legislation and pertinent Board policies and directives such as, but not limited to Administration of Medication and/or Special Services
- Ability to stand/walk for extended periods and move/carry equipment for program; and must be able to physically assist children as required (e.g. lifting).
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with children, parents, staff and the general public;
- Proven ability to follow organizational policies and procedures in an appropriate and timely manner;
- Strong organization and time management skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge of classroom management.
- One year experience as an ECE in a childcare centre and Early Learning Program is preferred however new graduates are welcome to apply
- Current certificate in First Aid and CPR
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR BOTH CORE AND EXTENDED DAY PROGRAM:
- Partner with the classroom teacher and other designated staff to plan and implement the early learning kindergarten program through developmentally appropriate curriculum-based activities;
- Collaborate with the classroom teacher and other designated staff to support individual student’s identified needs, strengths, interests and stages of development;
- Observe, monitor and assess the development of pupils in JK/K and extended day program;
- Collaborate with the classroom teacher and special education teacher to carry out specialized activities to support learning for children requiring an Individual Education Plan (IEP);
- Collaborate with extended day team to implement a developmentally appropriate curriculum based on the FDK extended day document
- Maintain a healthy, physical, emotional and social learning context for students;
- Provide a variety of experiences to strengthen pro-social skills such as sharing, problem solving and cooperation;
- Provide guidance in washroom routines, dressing and lunchtime activities;
- Maintain appropriate records for students (e.g. health, attendance, etc.) respecting confidentiality and adhering to all privacy legislation;
- Collaborate and maintain set-up of classroom (e.g. display, organization of materials etc.);
- Where applicable, attend staff meetings, appropriate school-level meetings and professional development activities;
- Perform related administrative functions as required such as attendance and billing in the extended day program
- Complete any duties as assigned by principal.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES FOR EXTENDED DAY PROGRAM:
- Provide supervision and age appropriate programming for children aged 4 to 12 years;
- Perform related administrative functions as required;
- Communicate with parents and school staff as appropriate;
- Facilitate nutrition breaks;
- Complete other related duties as assigned by the principal.
RATE OF PAY (GRID): $20.09 - $26.27 per hour
SCHEDULE AND HOURS OF WORK:
Full-time positions: 7 hours/day plus ½ to 1 hour per day unpaid lunch
Part time positions: 3.5 hours/day
SCHEDULES will vary from school to school and will range from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Daily occasional supply DECEs are normally called for assignments that range from a start at 8 am to those that end at 6:00 pm.
Long Term assignments may include schedules that commence at 7:00 am to 2:30 pm or 10:30 am to 6:00 pm.
All those interested in applying to this opportunity must apply directly to the posting currently available on
Apply to Education website : www.applytoeducation.com.
To ensure your application is complete, please include all of the following information:
- Current dated priest reference form (dated within the last 12 months)
priest reference form for the Designated Early Childhood Educators available on our website http://www.wcdsb.ca/careers/application/hr- forms.html.
Applicants outside of Diocese of Hamilton: please provide pastoral reference letter from a Roman Catholic Priest (dated within the last 12 months, on parish letterhead, with parish seal, signed by the priest). Please note that ONLY pastoral references with the verbatim statement "I attest that the candidate is a practicing, baptized Roman Catholic" will be considered
- Copy of Baptismal certificate . A Confirmation certificate is sufficient ONLY if you were baptized in affiliation with a Christian denomination other than Roman Catholic.
- A complete Declaration of Commitment (available on our website: http://www.wcdsb.ca/careers/application/hr-forms.html)
- DECE membership card- Member in Good Standing with the College of Early Childhood Educators
- Copy of Early Childhood Education diploma
- Current cover letter and resume
- Two (2) professional references(one reference must be immediate supervisor)
For further details on the requirements of a complete application please visit our website: http://www.wcdsb.ca/careers/application/hr-forms.html.
Applications and supporting documentation will be received until May 13th at 4:00pm. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered for interviews.
If you require a disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at (519) 578-3677, extension 2368 to provide your contact information.
The Successful Candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Criminal Background Check.
Although we thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.