If this is you, join our team and make a difference in the life of a child!
The YMCAs of Cambridge & Kitchener-Waterloo is one of the community’s largest non-profit organizations. For almost 30 years, YMCA Child Care has been a leader in delivering quality licensed Child Care in our community. We believe connected communities are thriving, healthy, and strong. We have the assets to affect positive social change and we know that Child Care is a foundation of our work. That’s where you come in.
What you will bring…
- Ideally, you have completed an Early Childhood Education diploma program and be registered with College of Early Childhood Educators. Other credentials may also be considered (i.e. Recreation & Leisure, Child & Youth Worker, Ontario College of Teachers, or Social Services Worker)
- You have experience working with children in a play based, emergent curriculum setting.
- You have the ability to plan and implement a child-centered program in accordance with YMCA curriculums Playing to Learn and A Place to Connect. You will be responsible for preparing, maintaining, and evaluating the learning environment and all aspects of the program on an ongoing basis.
- You will be responsible for supervising and caring for children with a daily awareness of health and safety issues.
- You have the ability to support children with diverse needs by adjusting programming and the environment, setting goals and monitoring progress during small groups and/or one on one. You must be able and willing to support children with daily routines (washroom, dressing, meals, etc)
- You have well-developed interpersonal and relationship building skills; the ability to use good judgement and problem-solve; and strong professional conduct. You exercise judgement in modifying children’s behaviour by re-directing, and providing positive reinforcement within pre-established guidelines.
- You have the ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with children, families, educators, volunteers, and community partners.
- You promote a social inclusion through communication and involvement with all children.
- You are willing to mentor and assist college or university students and/or high school co-op students on placement.
- You have knowledge of the Child Care and Early Years Act (2014), the Early Learning for Every Child Today document, How Does Learning Happen? Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years and The Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice and the ability to meet the specifications of these documents.
- You have the competency to use technology to communicate and document children’s learning.
- You will be required to attend monthly staff meetings and the occasional family or community event.
- You are committed to engaging in ongoing professional learning and participate in annual personal goal setting.
- You have the ability to stand and walk for extended periods. You must be able to get down to the children’s level by bending, kneeling and sitting on the floor. You will be required to be physically active, lift and carry objects such as young children, blocks, and program supplies.
- You have up-to-date Standard First Aid and CPR (Level C) certification, successful completion of Vulnerable Police Records Check within the last 3 months, and up-to-date immunizations including a TB test
What you will gain…
- You will join a dynamic team and an organization that has massive impact across our community.
- The YMCA has an excellent pension plan available to all employees and a comprehensive benefit plan for full time employees.
- All employees receive a free YMCA membership upon hire and have access to many opportunities for growth within the Association.
- We provide several continuous professional learning opportunities at no cost.
- We offer a competitive wage -RECE minimum rate of pay is $20.25 per hour (plus government wage enhancement where eligible). Non-RECE minimum rate of pay is $18.65 per hour (plus government wage enhancement where eligible).
If you are interested in joining our team, please apply on our website
RECEs must include their College of ECE registry number on their resume.
On your application, please indicate your location preference (KW or Cambridge, or either)