Children’s Program Instructor
LOCATION: Kitchener-Waterloo (AR Kaufman)
HOURS: Part time, evenings & weekends as required
START DATE: May 2016
FUNCTION: The incumbent is responsible to function as a member of the HFA Program Team to deliver quality programs and services that ensure children and youth are learning in a fun, safe and positive environment.
- Plan and deliver daily program activities that ensure a warm, welcoming and safe environment.
- Develop and facilitate developmentally appropriate programs and materials for children and youth.
- Set up and take down recreational, program and other equipment as required –checking that equipment is safe and in good repair (reporting immediately all malfunctions and removing the damaged equipment immediately from circulation.
- Maintain attendance records and information sheets that are accurate and up to date.
- Develop positive and professional relationships with participants, parents – providing on-going, pro-active communication.
- Enforce all rules and regulations and maintain order in his/her designated program as a proactive approach to ensuring safety and accident prevention.
- Take responsibility for the maintenance and cleanliness of program areas (office, equipment/storage rooms etc.)
- High School Diploma
- 1-3 months of related experience an asset
- ECE Diploma or equivalent (an asset)
- Standard First Aid/CPR/AED
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Second language (an asset)
- Clear Criminal Reference Check and Vulnerable Persons Screening
Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner to support information sharing.
Concern for Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Creativity and Innovation: Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help achieve desired results
Initiative: Knows when to do the right thing.
Relationship Building and Collaboration: Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to build enthusiasm and appreciation to achieve work related goals.
Tolerance for Ambiguity: Functions effectively in situations of less than perfect or incomplete information.
In addition to the above competencies the Association Core Competencies are required, Commitment to Organization Vision and Values, Diversity, Integrity, Teamwork
Note: This position requires a commitment to the YMCA mission and core values, as well as, a commitment to building developmental assets in children and adults.
Applications are accepted electronically only. When applying, please quote posting number JP 43-2016, to:
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday. April 19, 2016, 3:00 pm