Reports To: Head of School
Status: Full Time
Starting Date: September 2018
Sunshine Montessori School (SMS) is a co-educational independent school for children ages 18 months through Grade 8. Located in Kitchener-Waterloo, we offer an outstanding Montessori program where students can realize their potential by igniting their natural curiosity and passion to learn.
At SMS, we believe our greatest strength is the way we quietly balance a wonderful sense of calm within our dynamic active learning environment, creating a place where students love learning, are encouraged to try new experiences and develop their talents to the fullest.
SMS Teachers are expected to have a high level of expertise in their teaching disciplines and are effective, stimulating and competent facilitators of the educational process. All members of the teaching faculty are first and foremost educators but are also expected to be supportive and contributing members of the school community through their involvement and leadership in extra-curricular activities and a variety of responsibilities outside the classroom.
The typical load for a full-time member of the teaching faculty includes teaching as assigned, one co-curricular year-long commitment, serving as a student advisor, supervisory duties in the broader school community and may include other contracted activities such as: Extended Care, March Break Camp and Summer Camp.
- Deliver his/her teaching practice in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Curriculum guidelines of SMS.
- Be a supportive, positive and contributing member of the SMS community, both sharing and accepting constructive feedback
- Participate in an aspect of the Co-Curricular program by being involved in and leading academic, outdoor education, and other learning trips
- Serve as a role model to other members of the SMS community
- Engage and communicate effectively with parents, including report card writing
- Develop an appropriate level of technological expertise enabling them to function in an e-school environment
- Know and support the Code of Conduct
- Participate in Professional Development activities
At SMS, each class is led by a certified and accredited Montessori teacher whose primary role is to direct the child’s natural energy and provide a programme that meets the social and academic needs of each individual student.
Skills, Technical & Behavioural Competencies
- ECE/RECE certification
- Must be registered and a member in good standing with the College of Early Childhood Educators
- Understanding and knowledge of the Childcare Early Years Act requirements
- First aid and CPR Certification
- Technical aptitude
- Demonstrates Integrity & Trust
- Possesses excellent communication skills
- Demonstrates flexibility, adaptability and self-management
Workplace Requirements & Conditions
- Location: SMS, 10 Boniface Avenue, Kitchener, ON N2C 1L9
- The work day includes all academic and extra-curricular periods starting at approximately 8:00 a.m.
- Occasional Evenings and Weekend work required
- Parent/Teacher conferences, Parent Education and Weekend Open Houses
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SMS is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details or if you require any information in an alternate format.