Salary Range: Level 7 (starting at $18.10 per hour, plus a $2/hour Provincial wage enhancement)
Position Status: Part-Time and Full-Time with benefits and complimentary YMCA membership
NOTE: This process will also establish a pool of candidates that may be used to fill similar vacancies within YMCAHBB Child Care over the next 6 months.
Nature & Scope:
YMCA Registered Early Childhood Educators are required to provide professional, high quality play-based licensed child care programs that meet the developmental needs of children 0 - 12 years of age. Registered Early Childhood Educators are responsible for developing and implementing a program based on the YMCA Playing to Learn curriculum, while adhering to established YMCA policies and procedures and quality standards, as well as the regulations of the Child Care and Early Years Act.
Since programs may takes place in a shared space, incumbents must have excellent interpersonal skills in order to maintain and foster strong and positive relationships with school personnel, parents and other educators to promote the delivery of high quality child care services within the community.
- This position requires the ability and flexibility to work a flexible schedule including early mornings and late afternoons. Hours of work may fluctuate to meet the operational needs of the department
- Some program areas may be based out of shared spaces within community schools, therefore, requiring movement/set up of equipment on a daily/weekly/ monthly basis
- Knowledgeable on the pedagogical practices of the YMCA as they relate to Early Learning and Child Development and understands the Ministry of Education guidelines and curriculum;
- Understand and comply with all regulatory items as per the Child Care and Early Years Act, YMCA, Ministry of Education, and others;
- Must be familiar with the developmental needs of children ranging from ages 0 to 12 years
- Assist with children’s meals and snacks including set up and clean up;
- Plan, organize and lead activities for children 0 to 12 years of age to meet the developmental needs of children;
- Ensure the health and safety of the children is maintained at all times;
- Liaise with parents and community contacts;
- Participate in Association wide events i.e. YMCA Strong Kids, and other educational and promotional initiatives
- Required to attend monthly meetings and professional learning sessions
- Degree or Diploma in Early Childhood Education
- A member in good standing of the College of Early Childhood Educators
- Previous YMCA experience is an asset
- Current Standard First Aid and Infant/Child CPR & AED certification (Level C)
- 18 years of age or older
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Working Computer knowledge
- If you are hired, prior to your start date and as a condition of employment, you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid Human Rights exemption.
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the Mission, Vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA.
Child & Youth Focused
Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth
Planning and Organization
Establishes a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long term work goals.
Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the YMCA.
Relationship building and collaboration
Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
Creativity and Innovation
Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help achieve desired results.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford encourages employees within the Association, as well as those employed within the Canadian YMCA/YMCA-YWCA Federation to submit their application.
Please note that in so doing, the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford reserves the right to contact the applicable YMCA or YMCA-YWCA for purposes of seeking an employment reference throughout the recruitment process.
Please ensure that prior to submitting your application that you have disclosed to your current supervisor, your intention to submit your application. By submitting your application, you understand and agree to allow the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford to contact your current Association.
Why Work for the YMCA?
As a charitable organization, the YMCA values the contributions of its diverse teams. We recognize the importance of providing meaningful opportunities that allow employees to grow and thrive. At the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford, in addition to fair wages, we offer a complimentary general membership with additional options for family participation. A comprehensive benefits program is also available to employees including a competitive and robust pension program. YMCA Employees enjoy a generous vacation entitlement that increases with seniority, as well as other paid entitlements. All employees have access to an Employee Assistance Program which provides confidential counseling and referral services as well as preventative education. Additionally, the YMCA understands the holistic needs of its employees is equally important and attempts to support these goals by offering a variety of staff discounts on the programs and services that support good health and strong families. We look forward to welcoming you to the YMCA.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a letter of application, and resume, along with documentation to verify completion of (or in process of completing) Standard First Aid with CPR-C attention:
* Please indicate position and region (Hamilton, Burlington, or Brantford) you applying for in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is committed to creating an inclusive environment that accommodates all individuals, including those with disabilities. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Acts (AODA) and have established policies, procedures and practices which adhere to the accessibility standards set out in the AODA. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process please do not hesitate contacting our Human Resources Department.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is an equal opportunity employer.