Avon Co-op is a place where we expect to see children playing busily, safely, and happily. In their play, they learn to develop motor skills, knowledge and patterns of social behaviour that fall within the limits of their capacity. Each child is unique and such uniqueness should be cherished. Avon Co-op prides itself in being a supportive and positive work environment that promotes employee safety, growth, and goal attainment.
The Director provides and coordinates the necessary support, resources, supervision, and leadership to ensure the provision of nurturing care and education to young children in a group setting, in accordance with the goals and curriculum plans of the nursery school, the philosophy and policies of the agency, and in strict compliance with provincial legislations and the local health department. The Director also actively engages with children on a day-to-day basis and works closely with staff.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure the smooth functioning of all aspects of the nursery school to best serve children and families
- Visit classrooms and observe teaching methods and provide ongoing feedback
- Monitor students and staff for progress
- Provide supervision, leadership, and support to all school staff
- Ensure regular liaison and communication with parents, board of directors, and community
- Conduct human resource duties such as hiring and training staff, coordinating staff schedule, leading performance reviews and enforcing disciplinary action as needed, WSIB claims, etc.
- Establish performance goals and objectives regularly to encourage staff growth
- Develop supply list for coverage of staff personal leave days and holidays
- Lead monthly staff meetings
- Attend all board meetings (open/closed/executive)
- Actively engage with community and attend pertinent community events
- Ensure licensing requirements are met at all times
- Perform other duties as required; paid overtime as needed
- Early Childhood Educator (ECE) diploma
- Registered member of the College of Early Childhood Educators of Ontario
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C (or willing to obtain)
- Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
- Experience in running a daycare, nursery school or home daycare preferred, but willing and able to train motivated candidate
- Working knowledge of the Child Care and Early Years Act
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Implement discretion, tact, and confidentiality when meeting with parents, board members, and the general public
- Ability to relate well to children, parents, colleagues, and community
- Strong computer skills
- Desire to continue education and professional development
- Knowledge of co-operative organizations and their operation
- Ability to deal effectively with a variety of personalities and situations with friendliness and diplomacy
- Monday through Friday (No evenings or weekends)
- Approx. 25-30 hours per week
- Time off for Christmas Break, March Break, and Summer (July & August)
- $23 per hour to start based on experience
- Paid for additional hours such as board/executive meetings, ministry mandates, or any summer hours
The following Policies and Procedures are being implemented by Avon Co-operative Nursery School (ACNS) in response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and health concerns as a result of this.
- Health Screening Questions for Children
- Health Screening Questions for Employees
- Enhanced Sanitary Practices (Increased Proper Hand Washing, Cleaning & Disinfecting including toys and surfaces)
- Face Covering/Mask Use for Employees
- Serious Occurrence Reporting & Outbreak Management if required
Please apply with resume, cover letter, and references to
Kelly Van Den Hurk at email@example.com.
Avon Co-op welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.