Position: Family Outreach Worker Type: Full-time permanent/30 hours per week
Hours: Tuesday 12:00-8:00pm, Wednesday to Friday 9:00-5:00pm
Position Summary: The Community Outreach Program is a community-based program created to prevent and reduce the depth of child poverty in Waterloo Region. The goal is to eliminate barriers to employment, education, recreation, transportation, counseling, etc. The FOW links families and children to appropriate resources, services, and supports in their community and acts as an advocate on their behalf. The Family Outreach Worker also offers a variety of in house practical supports, coaching and group facilitation.
- Build relationships and increase engagement with current and potential service users.
- Provide support in the context of referral making, problem solving and reviewing and discussing options which may lead families and children to better meet their needs.
- Assess eligibility and provide subsidy for both internal and external recreation programs.
- Conduct outreach activities throughout the neighbourhood, sharing information regarding Centre program and services.
- Provide practical support, including but not limited, to bus tickets and food.
- Liaise with other organizations; keep updated information re programs & services available in community.
- Support families in navigating and accessing various social service systems i.e. Ontario Works, Family & Children’s Services (F&CS).
- Maintain all necessary information and statistics and submit all reports as requested.
- Degree or diploma in social services or equivalent.
- Minimum two year work in social/community services in related position. Knowledge of neighborhood Centre model an asset.
- Computer literate, able to learn new applications.
- Possess excellent communication, organizational and coordination skills.
- Current Standard First Aid, Police Record Check and F&CS check.
- Experience and commitment to grassroots community development is an asset.
- Flexibility, strong teamwork approach.
- Empathy and compassion for people in crisis.
- Be open and non-judgemental
Please email or fax a resume and a 1-2 page outline detailing how your skills and experience would contribute to your success in this position.
Please send to:
E-mail: email@example.com Fax: 519-650-1534
Deadline for resume submission is March 14th, 2014.