At Emmanuel at Brighton Child Care Centre, our children inspire us, and each other, with their natural sense of curiosity, capacity for creative play and their unique and individual ways of constructing knowledge. Through child-initiated and adult-supported experiences, our children are active stewards of their own learning and are recognized as capable, competent and curious. Together, educators and students co-create a dynamic and engaging learning environment that both find inspiring and positive. Our learning environments are inspired by the four foundations of learning: well-being, belonging, expression and engagement.
Hours of Work
Summer: Monday – Friday, Variable Hours
Sept. 2018: Monday – Friday, minimum 30 hours per week
Duties and responsibilities
- Under the direction of the Child Care and Early Years Act (CCEYA) implements programming in accordance with the policies and philosophies of the school.
- Review and abides by all policies and procedures as set out in the Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Adapt to children’s emotional, social, cognitive and physical development and demonstrates the importance of building upon the four foundations of learning.
- Aware of research supporting the importance of Outdoor and Forrest and Nature School curriculum.
- Respect individual differences. Understand the concepts of multiculturalism, diversity and anti-bias approach to Early Childhood Education.
- Collaborate with colleagues and Administration in assessing the developmental progress of children in the program.
- Maintain a high skill level in behaviour management techniques
- Follow fire drill procedures, all sanitary practices and ensures safe work practices are followed at all times.
- Attend and contribute to the monthly staff meetings.
- Responsible for the monitoring student placements. Offer support and varying levels of training/coaching/mentoring.
- Participate in professional development.
- Responsible for opening and closing the centre on a 2 or 3 week rotation basis and on occasion will be required for after work duties, i.e. parent nights, concerts, picnic with parents, etc.
- Performs housekeeping duties, as required.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Experience in a child care setting
- Membership in good standing with the Ontario College of Early Childhood Educators
- Current standard first aid/CPR certification
- Demonstrate understanding of the CCEYA and the pedagogy of “How does learning happen?”
- Demonstrate ability to quickly form positive relationships with children
- Experienced in creating a welcoming, enriched and safe learning environment
- Able to openly and respectfully communicate with parents/families and team members on a regular basis.
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional development
- Adapt quickly to a changing environment
- Exposure to a variety of weather conditions.
- Works in a noisy and busy environment with regular interruptions requiring the ability to change priorities quickly and tolerate stress.
- Routine variety in sitting, lifting, standing, bending and walking.
- Working in the classroom, indoor/outdoor playgrounds with children, using continuous movement to respond to the needs of children.