Hours of Work: Availability to work on an on-call basis, Hours may vary – 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. start and 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. finish
Wage: $30.57 – $34.73 per hour
Location: Five (5) Various Children’s Centres within the Region of Waterloo
Description of Duties:
Provides early childhood education programs that meet the developmental needs of children enrolled in the Region’s corporately operated Children’s Centres. Ensures compliance with the Day Nurseries Act (DNA), Child & Family Services Act (C&FSA), Regional policy & procedures, and maintains the standards and practices of the HighScope Curriculum Approach to Early Childhood Education. Occasionally works after hours for staff meetings, parent/teacher meetings, training and other activities.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of teaching methods, principles and practices related to Early Childhood Education, normally acquired through the completion of a post secondary diploma or degree in Early Childhood Education or an approved equivalency through the Association of Early Childhood Educators Ontario, plus two years direct work experience in a licensed early learning or child care setting.
- Must possess a current registration with the College of Early Childhood Educators, Ontario.
- Must be eligible for HighScope certification with the HighScope Educational Research Foundation within 12 months of start of employment.
- Must provide proof of and maintain a record of immunizations and negative Tuberculosis test.
- Must possess Infant & Child CPR certification.
- Knowledge of and experience with inclusive practice, child development, child guidance, child health and nutrition, and special needs children. Knowledge of and experience with the HighScope Curriculum Approach to Early Childhood Education. Knowledge of the Day Nurseries Act and related Regional policy. Knowledge of Standard First Aid.
- Human relations skills, including knowledge of communication and observational techniques.
- Computer skills with ability to use software such as MS Word to document student notes
- Must provide an acceptable Police Records Check in order to ensure suitability for working with vulnerable populations.*
- Ability to read professional journals/manuals and participate in job training workshops to maintain current knowledge in the field.
- Ability to document observations of children’s behaviour and development each day and create written daily program plans based on observations and knowledge of child development. Maintain documentation on each child in classroom and prepare written reports for meetings with parents, team members, and external consultants. Prepare application packages and supporting documentation for teacher certification with the HighScope Educational Research Foundation.
- Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly while interacting with children daily and adapt communication strategies to meet individual children’s needs. Communicates with parents, team members, and other professionals to share information and to solicit feedback and input into discussions, respond to questions and inquiries from parents, and discuss occurrences in the centre with the supervisor and other members of the team.
- Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
Please apply online, before 11:59 PM on Dec 26, 2014 quoting competition number 2014-1718, or send your resume to: The Regional Municipality of Waterloo, Human Resources, 150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.