Provincial Wage Enhancement Grant)
Position Status: Part-Time Permanent with benefits and complimentary YMCA membership
NOTE: This process will also establish a pool of candidates that may be
used to fill similar vacancies within YMCAHBB Child Care over the next 6
Why work at the Y?
Our work environment is defined by respect, teamwork, opportunities for
personal and professional growth and investments in the health and
wellness of the people who are part of that team. We offer an array of
total rewards to recognize loyalty, longevity, and passion for the work we
- Paid vacation entitlements that increase with seniority (subject to eligibility)
- Competitive total compensation packages
- Group health and benefits plans (includes medical, dental, and prescription medication, subject to eligibility)
- Generous pension plans with employer matching
- Free YMCA Health & Fitness Memberships
- Professional development opportunities including paid training and access to YMCA education scholarships
- Reduced rates for YMCA Child Care, Camp, and Child & Youth programs (subject to eligibility)
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Opportunities for career advancement
The Assistant is responsible for assisting the Supervisor developing and
implementing a before and after school program that meets the
developmental needs of children 3.8 - 12 years of age, while adhering to
the YMCA policies and procedures and quality standards, as well as the
regulations of the Child Care and Early Years Act. School Age Child Care
Assistants are responsible for the supervision of children at all times
during program to ensure the health and safety needs of all are met.
Since programs may take place in a shared space, incumbents must have
excellent interpersonal skills in order to maintain and foster strong and
positive relationships with school personnel, parents and other educators
to promote the delivery of high quality child care services within the
- This position requires the ability and flexibility to work a split shift (before and after school hours);
- Program areas are based on shared space within the school, therefore, requiring movement/set up of equipment on a daily/weekly/ monthly basis
- Must be familiar with the developmental needs of children ranging from ages 3.8 to 12 years
- Assist in the planning, organizing, and leading activities for children 3.8 to 12 years of age to meet the developmental needs of children. Program numbers range from 10 to 90 children in attendance
- Ensure the health and safety of the children is maintained at all times; Must have knowledge of potential hazards and the ability to put a preventative plan in place;
- Utilizes appropriate behaviour guidance techniques in all interaction with the children;
- Required to assume leadership in the absence of the supervisor;
- Participates in Association wide events i.e. YMCA Strong, Trainings, etc.
- Required to attend monthly meetings and professional learning sessions
- Completion of High School education or equivalent
- A minimum of one year work/volunteer experience with children/youth
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C & AED certification (Level C)
- 18 years of age or older
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Working Computer knowledge
- If you are hired, prior to your start date and as a condition of employment, you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid Human Rights exemption.
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation
for the Mission, Vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA.
Child & Youth Focused
Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth
Planning and Organization
Establishes a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and
others to accomplish short and long term work goals.
Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports
information sharing and goal achievement across the YMCA.
Relationship building and collaboration
Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve
work related goals.
Creativity and Innovation
Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help achieve desired
We thank all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is committed to creating an inclusive environment that accommodates all individuals, including those with disabilities. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Acts
(AODA) and have established policies, procedures and practices which adhere to the accessibility standards set out in the AODA.
Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process please do not hesitate contacting our Human Resources Department.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is an equal opportunity employer.