Hours: 30 hours per week
Rate of Pay: $13.00 per hour
Overview of the position:
(8 week placement, funded by Human Resources Development Canada)
The Family and Community Event Programmer will engage and promote community involvement to families residing at YWCA Kitchener-Waterloo, Mary’s Place, a 60-bed emergency shelter for families, women/trans, by providing information and
assistance connecting families and children to local community events and recreational activities; planning and facilitating low and no cost shelter events and outings; and through the development of individualized community recreation/event packages, to assist families in staying connected in the community once they leave the shelter.
- Working towards post-secondary education in recreation and leisure services or equivalent
- Experience working with diverse populations and families experiencing
challenging and stressful situations
- Experience in recreational planning
- Knowledge of community resources
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently, critical problem solving skills, flexibility and creativity
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office
Candidates must be full-time students, intending to return to school in the next academic year.
Please submit a resume and cover letter indicating how you became aware of this posting by Friday, May 9, 2014 to:
Gennette Parn, Shelter Coordinator
84 Frederick Street
The YWCA is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from individuals of all races, colours, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, gender identity and sexual orientations, and are committed to ensuring equal and full participation for all applicants during the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.